Saturday, June 9, 2007

G-8 Protests: Highlights

Ever since the Battle of Seattle and the Genoa G-8 Summits, the press and the protesters have been flocking to the outskirts of every G-8 host city. The noise gets louder the crowds get bigger, and papiermaché and pantomime is more elaborate. Over the course of it all, some world leaders meet. A communiqué that has been long ago negotiated is finally released - containing words that will offend no one and simultaneously please fewer. So why do the protesters keep coming? I couldn't be bothered to fly to Heilling--Germany, so rather than vaguely trying to probe the profundities that have propelled these picketers I offer The Best of G-8 'o7.

As I've mentioned numerous times, the papiermaché heads. I love 'em. If you haven't seen them here they are playing poker:...and playing doctor. Both times with a stand-in for Africa.
Here are some folks who got some eats from Burger King, Rostock...
...those are the weirdest kid's meal toys I have ever seen. I'm not sure what's going on here, but the corn-on-the-cob-dentata is scary...

This year's the first time I've seen some geniune G-8 supporters showing up to rouse some rabble. I mean you can't dress like that unless you feel great about anything and everything going on in the world.
Of course, some folks weren't so amused.
..hey, Tony! That's a bit of an overreaction.

No comments: